Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, November 21, 2014

Hand dryers 'splatter' users with bacteria, scientists warn

Leeds University found that airborne germ counts are 27 times higher around jet air dryers in comparison with the air around paper towel dispensers

Modern hand dryers are much worse than paper towels when it comes to spreading germs, according to new University of Leeds research.

Scientists from the University of Leeds have found that high-powered ‘jet-air’ and warm air hand dryers can spread bacteria in public toilets.

Airborne germ counts were 27 times higher around jet air dryers in comparison with the air around paper towel dispensers.

The study shows that both jet and warm air hand dryers spread bacteria into the air and onto users and those nearby.

The research team, led by Professor Mark Wilcox of the School of Medicine, contaminated hands with a harmless type of bacteria called Lactobacillus, which is not normally found in public bathrooms. This was done to mimic hands that have been poorly washed.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These things are nasty and I hate using them or being around them. When I walk by them and the water hits my legs I get P.O'ed because I know it's germs from some dudes. Go back to paper towels please. I hate anything you have to touch in a bathroom. I use the paper towels to open the door because I know fecal fingers have touched the door knob.