Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Unconventional Approach to Calming Traffic in Salisbury Neighborhood

Salisbury Mayor James Ireton, Jr., today unveiled a new, perhaps less-than-conventional approach to slowing speeders on City streets. Signs urging drivers to “Drive like your kids live here” have been installed at several locations on Middle, and North Boulevards. Mayor Ireton considers the signs just one part of a larger, holistic approach to calming traffic patterns on Salisbury surface streets.

“As we have improved infrastructure in this area of the city – including paving in much of the neighborhood – it became clear that residents needed drivers to slow down. In addition to “SLOW” signs painted on the new blacktop, we decided to think outside the box with these signs. By referencing the safety of children and families, we hope to connect with drivers on a personal level,” said Mayor Ireton.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one is glad to see this.

Anonymous said...

Alright.. let's give it a try.
Who knows. Maybe it will be effective.

Anonymous said...

Another FINE example of a liberals solution to a problem! What a waste of taxpayers dollars, those signs probably cost over $200 a shot and people will pay just as much attention to them as the speed limit signs already in place. I am surprised he did not pay someone to research the effectiveness of such a campaign! Or did he? (We)

bloggerhater1 said...

i dont let my kids play in the street. go figure.

Anonymous said...

What measures if any will be taken in regard to high speed in town police chases?

Anonymous said...

I'm as conserative as you can get and I have seen the new signs. Personally I don't find the signs objectionable as a matter fact I thought they were put up by someone in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

So Anon 8:33 a.m. your saying the life of a child is not worth $200. Kids may not play in the street but I certainly see many walking to and from school.

Anonymous said...

I think its a great low cost idea to start with. I think that a large part of the problem in our town and the country as a whole is people are not being influenced by PSA like we were a children. In my opinion it has a lot to do with dramatic decline in TV viewers and the fact that you can now watch most shows without commercials if you record it to watch later, I know I do.

I remember watching all kinds of PSA as a kid and I remember most of them vividly. I cant tell you the last time I saw a campaign that was without a political agenda. We need to be constantly reinforcing appropriate behavior and not just showing everyone horrible violent news.

I can also say that I have talked to everyone in my family numerous times about how they drive in populated areas. Be responsible with your life and other peoples lives.

I agree this is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Credit when due - not a bad idea. Wouldn't mind seeing some more. Too many residential side-streets have become shortcuts, and many people are not driving as they should in a neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Let the cops do there job,re Speed traps.

Anonymous said...

Kids may not play in the street but I certainly see many walking to and from school.

December 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM

so have I. and I have seen plenty of these little darlings taunts motorists as they jaywalk and obstruct traffic.

crossing 50 and putting your leg out like you are going to hit a vehicle? we could have saved 200 on that one

Anonymous said...

The kids in this neighborhood are the same kids who beat a 83 year old man and demolished someone's front window and robbed from Family Dollar. The kids these signs actually benefit know how to cross the street.

Anonymous said...

Those signs are about as valuable for their intended purpose as a bequest in a pauper's will.